We currently have the following job openings
Science ManagerArecibo, Puerto Rico
The Science Manager will have overall management responsibility over the onsite science team at Arecibo. This position is responsible for administratively managing staff work, making assignments, evaluating performance and providing guidance and direction. The candidate will work directly with the scientists in developing performance plans and metrics aligned with short- and long-term objectives of the facility. Responsible for managing team budget, hiring and reporting requirements.Read More
Science Operations AssociateArecibo, Puerto Rico
- Responsible for facilitating activities that promote advancement of observatory science and technical operations, coordinating experimental campaigns and extend support to user’s-based instrumentation, experiments and observations. Identify problems that could hamper the scientific investigations and help the scientists in overcoming such issues that can be either of technical or administrative in nature.
- Supports and performs customer or staff science observations in radioastronomy, engineering, space and atmospheric sciences and planetary sciences.
- Performs data acquisition, including interactions with users and other observatory staff.
- Participates in activities involving regular maintenance of the on-site/off-site equipment to assist scientific projects.
- Provide support to user’s-based instrumentation, experiments and observations.
- Provide logistics support for equipment deployment and outreach activities.
- Perform analysis and processing of data from facility or user-based equipment.
- Responsible for the safety of the laboratory equipment and data.
- Support upgrades, testing and commissioning tasks associated with new capabilities/equipment.
- Generate report and metrics associated with equipment performance and data quality.
- Coordinate with maintenance, engineering and scientific staff to plan and support scientific observations or campaigns.
- Perform trouble shooting, documenting and working through faults in complex hardware and software systems. Interface with Windows, Linux or Unix environment through both command-line interfaces and GUIs.
- Contributes to general observatory service and support tasks aligned with the interests of the observatory.
- Support improvement projects related to laboratory equipment and facilities.
- Preparation of user manuals or standard operating procedures for scientific equipment or laboratory operations.
Business Operations SpecialistArecibo, Puerto Rico
Job Description: This position will drive operational excellence initiatives across the Arecibo Observatory site. This includes improvements to the operational cadence, development/improvement of site processes, metrics and resource allocations. The position will serve as a project manager for strategic collaborations and business initiatives. It will be responsible for ensuring the development and implementation of process and infrastructure in support of the leadership team's vision.Read More
Senior Observatory Scientist - Team LeadArecibo, Puerto Rico
Job Description:The Arecibo Observatory (AO) is looking for a talented senior observatory scientist to lead the Space and Atmospheric Science (SAS) team at the observatory. We seek a candidate who will undertake the following tasks: • Serve as technical leader for the space and atmospheric science team. • Mentor and train staff in the SAS group. • Write proposals for new external funding. • Work in conjunction with the science manager, the principal scientist and the deputy principal scientist to develop a strategy to represent Arecibo observatory and Arecibo science interests in the decadal survey.Read More
Observatory Scientist or Senior Observatory Scientist, Interferometry RadioastronomyArecibo, Puerto Rico
Job Description: The Arecibo Observatory (AO), part of the University of Central Florida (UCF), is seeking a talented observatory scientist or senior observatory scientist in Interferometry Radioastronomy in Puerto Rico. The Arecibo Observatory (AO) is famous for its outstanding research in radio astronomy, solar-system studies, and space and atmospheric sciences, is home to the world’s second largest radio/radar telescope. AO invites applicants to apply for the observatory scientist positions in observational radio astronomy, preferably with Very Long Baseline Interferometry (VLBI) experience.Read More
Observatory ScientistArecibo, Puerto Rico
Job Description: The Arecibo Observatory (AO), part of University of Central Florida (UCF), is seeking a talented observatory scientist for the Space and Atmospheric Science group. The research emphasis of the group is plasma aeronomy and physics, as well as space weather using the 430 MHz Incoherent, scatter radar (ISR) and the support cluster of radio receivers and passive-and-active optics placed onsite and in the AO remote facility in Culebra Island.Read More